JDK

poverty line

Question

plz somebody tell me the deiffernce between the recommendations of tendulkar committee and rangarajan committee on poverty line

4 answers to this question

tendulkar committee.

1. has used 1000 Rs and 816 Rs per capita per month for people living in urban and rural areas respectively to define threshold poverty line. below this income mean people are poor, above are not. 2. according to this methodology india had 21.9 PERCENT of poor, hitherto 2012. it was 37 percent in 2004-05. drawn flak for its estimates, planning commission constituted another committee to look into the matter(rangarajan committee).

Rangarajan committee.

1. he says 3 out of 10 and still 29.5 percent indians are poor. 2 he used 4800/5 Rs and 7500/5 Rs for rural and urban areas to define the poverty line. this methodology is also being criticized despite its familiarity with international estimates(world bank used 2 dollars per day, rangarajan used 2.4 dollars per day)

ok ! but what is the basic difference between the methods adopted by the 2 in arriving at their respective

poverty lines

ok ! but what is the basic difference between the methods adopted by the 2 in arriving at their respective

poverty lines

Read my comment once again, former committee used minimum consumption limit (1000 rs per month only for urban areas) , that yielded minimumu number of poor.

later committee used more than 1000 ie 7500/5 to find number of poor. hence got much percent of poor.

BECAUSE MINIMUM NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAS REACHED UPDATED HIGHER CONSUMPTION LINE.

let me know if any most important difference.